Tuesday, July 16, 2013

With You, Without You


This cartoon is based on a comment I made on Facebook that got a lot of reaction.

I wanted to have the gun "talk" in this cartoon rather than a person, because that person would have to have characteristics of one race or another, and I didn't want that perception coloring the cartoon. (For that matter, I also decided not to colorize the cartoon.) While a cartoon about George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin can't ignore race -- and this cartoon doesn't -- I didn't want this particular cartoon to be about race.

That presented the challenge of trying to draw the same gun from three different angles. Now, some cartoonists would have just slapped in three copies of the same picture of a gun downloaded from Google Images, but most of us feel that if you're going to call yourself an editorial cartoonist, you ought to be able to draw a cartoon.

Not that I didn't spend a fair amount of time scouring Google Images. There's no way I was about to point a gun at myself long enough to draw it with my other hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment