Wednesday, May 16, 2012

QToon: Absolutely Comfortable


There was certainly no question what I would draw this week's cartoon about. Sure, there was the Washington Post story about Mitt Romney's having once pinned a gay (as it turned out) fellow student to the ground and cut off his golden locks, but I had just drawn a Romney cartoon last week -- and besides, this Clay Bennett cartoon says everything that needs to be said about those high school hijinx.

The only real complication was that with President Obama's ABC interview on marriage equality hitting the news last Tuesday afternoon, by the time I got around to drawing my little weekly cartoon, all the other cartoonists (and late night comedians) around the country had taken all the good ideas. And a lot of the lame ones, too, if we're being totally honest here.

I had six different cartoons sketched out on good bristol board Sunday night (the cartoon is due at Q Syndicate on Monday morning) before I finally decided which one was worth inking. While the final cartoon succumbs to the liberal fault of being too wordy to be witty, rest assured that the rejected cartoons were no better.

Oh, I suppose I could have drawn a cartoon about Bristol Palin. But she's such a poor spokesperson for marriage, it's like shooting fish in a barrel. Who could possibly improve on Eric Mapa's tweet: "Bristol Palin's just jealous because I'm actually married to the father of my baby"?

2 comments: