Saturday, March 24, 2012

John Greenleaf Whittier Cartoon


Do they teach John Greenleaf Whittier (1807-1892) in the schools any more? Has he ever made it into the Oprah Book Club?

Political cartoons used to be rife with references to poetry and literature, but those references can sail right by your average 21st Century reader. I might reach more people with a reference to The Hunger Games, if it weren't for the fact that I am quickly becoming an old fuddy-duddy. I had never even heard of the book or the movie until a few days ago.

Heck, I was taken aback when I saw a TV ad for the 3-D re-release of Titanic which started out with the announcer touting the film "from the director of Avatar!"

At any rate, the sad words at the end of Whittier's original couplet, for the benefit of those who aren't familiar with it, are actually "It might have been."

No comments:

Post a Comment