Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Steve Slater's 15 Minutes


This is one of those cartoons during the drawing of which I changed my mind about basic concepts several times after I started inking it. One thought was that I should have drawn the two guys working as hair dressers instead of jogging, since a.) the situation would suit the catty punch line, and b.) jogging doesn't really lend itself to conversation, what with the heavy breathing and all. Then I thought of a punch line that was funnier than the punch line that I had pitched to my editor. I kept the two guys jogging, but I decided to squeeze that second punch line in at the bottom of the cartoon.

After all, I don't suppose I needed to save that second punch line in case I might want to do more cartoons about the Jet Blue flight attendant story someday.

Oh, I'm sure Steve Slater will show up on a future season of "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here," or in a cameo role as himself in Will Ferrell's next film. But I think the window for drawing Steve Slater cartoons is closing fast. Air travel is getting to be increasingly unpleasant for everyone involved, and the next time somebody wigs out on a plane, there's a good chance that it won't be so funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment